Wednesday, October 17, 2007

1 Self portrait (answers to questions in "The Elightened Stepmother" book

"Consider your personality and goals -- what makes you tick and what do you want out of life? The more you acknowledge what you are comfortable with, how you react to various situations, and what fulfills your particular needs, the better prpared you will be for your new life."

1. List all the qualities you like about yourself, including personality characteristics and skills:
* Has a spiritual sense of purpose
* Persevering and faithful
* Strives to live life for God
* Good listener
* Desires to rise above average
* Has deep friendships
* Likes good and wholesome fun
* Comes from a strong family background
* Wants to do whats right and pleasing to God
* Talented: writes, sings, dances, acts, directs
* Has good and deep insights in life
* Warm and friendly
* Able to relate to different kinds of people
* Confident in God's love
* Hardworking
* Dedicated and passionate

2. List what you consider to be your greates accomplishments, personal and career-related:

* Became a disciple of Jesus
* Reached out to parents and cousin
* Leader of campus ministry: counseled hundreds of women and helped them emotionally and spiritually
* Valedictorian in ES and HS
* Youth leader
* Preached in the pulpit at age 11
* Overcame an intense circumstance in life by faith: husband almost dying
* Won several singing, acting, and academic contests
* Careerwise: SWEEP (event management)

3. Are you happy with yourself right now? If not why? What actions do you want to take to improve satisfaction with yourself? What do you need from others to enhance your happiness?

* Not happy. Facing a lot of adjustments. Sad about the fact that I would never be able to have just my own family. I have stepdaughter and my husband adores her. My stepdaughter has a mom who can make certain demands of my husband. My husband can not decide just for our family but always has to consider his daughter. I can never have just a normal family life. My husband will always be torned in making decisions.
Not feeling prioritized. My husband is exhibiting unusual joy when his daughter is here but is sad when we're alone. Dates are unplanned.
* To improve satisfaction with myself, I have to be resolved about the circumstance I have chosen for myself and find peace and joy in it. I need divine intervention to make that happen. I need to accept God's direction and be happy with it. I have to find joy and happiness outside just being with my husband. I have to find a greater purpose in being a stepmom other than just accepting it and trying to be happy about it.
* I need my husband to be excited about our marriage and to be affectionate to me. I hope his ex-fiancee could be less demanding and more understanding of the changes in their lives. I am now here and starting a family with my husband. Hope she understands that and considers everyone's interests. Hope Alyssa can be more giving.
* I hope I can be near family members or close friends. Hope I can join an organization or support group that can help me get out of myself and give. I hope to find a greated purpose for my situation.

4. List everyting, major and minor, currently happening in your life that is contributing to your happiness.

* Praise and recognition in the office.
* Husband reassuring me of his love and telling me how grateful he is to have me in his life.
* Seeing my stepdaughter enjoying her times with us.
* Hearing great news about my parents' spiritual growth
* My cousin wanting to be restored to God.
* Balancing my cash drawer or not going over or under $3.
* Worshipping and singing songs to God and listening to an awesome message
* Finding and reading a good book
* Watching an interesting movie
* Meeting Filipinos in MN
* Times with Terry
* Getting together with sisters on saturdays
* Winning a PTO at work
* Discovering insights from the Bible
* Having quality times with God
* Checking-in a hotel with my husband
* Receiving e-mails from friends

5. Is there anything that is troubling you right now? What is it? What do you believe you could or should do to improve the situation or alleviate the problem?

* Not balancing cash drawer at work: carefully do all my transactions
* Anxious to make a sale: just pray to have the opportunity to help people today and to have the right heart in helping them
* Sad about the demands made of my husband by another woman: Pray about the demands and get wisdom from God and be resolved
* Can't move out of my in-laws house because no money: Be faithful in saving money and look forward to God's deliverance.
* Debtors running after us: Pay all possible debts and get them off our backs
* Dates with husband that are not happening: Cooperate in planning them
* Anxious in having a baby coz of finances.
* Sad to be away from family and friends: Call them frequently and build new friendships.
* Jealousy about my husband's affection to his daughter: Pray to love stepdaughter as my own and love my husband
* Joe not sticking to our planned schedule with his daughter and going out with his daughter in unplanned times: Keep a schedule of my own on weekends when his daughter is not scheduled so that he can't disrupt the flow of my life/weekend. Set "my own" weekends.

PRAY, PRAY, PRAY.

No comments: